Okay, we finished up week 1. I was not sure we were going to survive and this was a 3 day week. Day 1 was fab. Day 2 -the kinder were a bit resistant about Latin. Day 3 - a fair amount of groaning and grumbling but ending on an up note.
Yesterday started off with a bang. We had plans to meet friends at the park in the afternoon but the kids knew we would not be going if they did not complete their lessons for the day. In the spirit of wanting to go to the park, by the time I got downstairs they were already doing their math assignments. Much enthusiasm for grammar and writing....and then......Latin. Their distaste for Latin was my fault. I let the first lesson go on to long. So, after much cajoling and promises that this lesson would be shorter (and it was) they stopped moaning and groaning and got to it. Once that was over they agreed that the lesson was shorter and better and maybe not all awful. Then we moved on to Chemistry and an exciting discussion of matter, atoms, neurons, protons, and electrons. Finally, it was time to go to the park. They had a great time with their friends but the bees were out in full force and they were really being kind of pushy in that bee way. Usually they are out and about but leave you alone. No, not these bees. They were in your face, buzzing your ears, and landing on you. Not fun!
Today, I was greeted with a chorus of "We want to stay in bed and read. Our friends only have a half day of school today!" Mean mom that I am-I told them to get dressed, brush their teeth, and get downstairs since they had been reading for the past half hour. I also told them I was not interested in their friends school day as we always finish earlier then them anyway. Math, grammar, writing, copy work and dictation all done without a hitch. M continued reading Minn of the Mississippi. We looked at the globe to see where Minn was born (Minnesota) and looked at the distance Minn would be traveling (to the Gulf of Mexico). Then out came the atlas for a close up look at the beginning of the Mississippi river. This then led to a discussion of our up coming trip to Arizona and how we would not be flying over any oceans to get there. We wrapped up the day with a little Medieval history and a discussion on why calling someone a Barbarian was really not a nice thing to do. That it showed a rather egocentric thought process and was not really a good way to learn about another culture.
Friday, September 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment