Thursday, October 2, 2008

Back to School

After a great Holiday today was back into serious learning. We had a full morning. Math-place values of the 100,000 and 10,000s for the 3rd grader, the area of a trapezoid for the other. Which lesson do you think I grasped quicker? If you guessed place value-you were correct. Language arts-for the 3rd grader we are working on paragraphs. Indentation, opening sentence and how the rest of the paragraph supports the opening statement. 5th grade-how to manuals. We learned that very important lesson of how to write a manual for a 6 year old to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and why you have to know your audience and be specific. I demonstrated what would happen if your instructions state "Take some bread" vs. " Take 2 slices of bread." Sure, a fifth grader knows to take 2 slices of bread but are you sure a 6 year old would know? Ancient History-In Mesopotamia we are delving into the Sumerians, the city-states, and the military dictatorship of the Akkadians.

The children are not loving the new shelves I purchased for all the school books. Well, what they are not loving is that they have to put all their stuff away on the shelves rather than in a big pile on the dining room table. The 2 minutes it takes to put something away properly because there is no clean-up fairy is a difficult lesson. You would think I was pulling their teeth out when you hear the groans of displeasure at cleaning up.

No comments: