Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Election Talk

After our math lesson we focused on the election. We talked about a bit about the candidates and what they stand for. We talked about who I will be voting for and why. We discussed the importance of making your own decision and not just voting for who your parents vote for. We started working on election vocabulary: Ballot, Candidate, Primary, Election, Issues, Debate, Parties. We also watched a little school house rock. It is true: The government is like a 3 ring circus on so many levels.

I think they are beginning to understand why it is so important to vote.

Yesterday I started the oldest on map reading and directions. I pulled out the street atlas and had him look up our street and the street that the library is on. I then showed him how to plot a course to get us to the library. He figured out how to get to the library but failed to see the importance of writing the directions clearly and accurately. Once we got in the car and I followed his original directions he understood but he still did not like it. Like a lot of us-he wants to do what he wants when he wants and how he wants. When we were looking at the map he wanted to know why we don't just use a GPS.

No comments: