Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lazy summer days

Yesterday our town pool opened. Day 1 of lazy summer days. We met up with our friends for the traditional 1st day get together. Packed a lunch and snacks and enjoyed the weather. In order for the 12 and under set to swim in the deep section of our man-made, sand bottom pool they have to pass the deep water test. Since they do not start giving the test until noon, we parents swam out there and enjoyed being alone in the deep end. It was a good day with good friends.

Today the kids have ice skating. I may even go back on the ice.

We received the test results to the PASS test they took earlier this month. With zero test prep they scored Average to High in the different categories. I was satisfied with the results. Considering that I am following my own curriculum and not what the schools are doing and that I did not prep them at all I felt the scores showed that homeschooling is working. They are learning and are capable of filling in a bunch of bubbles with a number 2 pencil. My spouse, on the other hand, had a different take. He felt the scores showed that they are performing as C level students. He feels they are exceptional (as do I) and that the test scores should be high on everything. How quickly he forgets that our oldest did not score high on everything when he was in 3rd grade and took the State test. We had a discussion on what the Standardized test scores mean. I had them take the test because I wanted to see what areas needed to be worked on next year (they both need some work in grammar/vocabulary). I was not aware they were taking the test to show that they are brilliant homeschoolers. I asked my husband if he would like me to teach the test next year so they get a better score. That went over like a lead balloon. I think the scores showed that homeschooling is working. What do you think?

No comments: