Today we took a drive to Historic Tombstone. It was a great day. We saw a short film about the the famous shoot out at the OK Corral. It seems Hollywood has been getting it wrong for decades. The film was narrated by Vincent Price-which I thought was really cool and it meant nothing to my children. We also saw a reenactment of the shooting at the OK Corral. We took a stagecoach tour around the town. I think the most interesting thing we did was take a tour of the Good Enough Mine (http://www.tombstone.org/attractions/goodenoughatt.htm) It was absolutely amazing. I have to say, the founder of Tombstone had a great sense of humour. He named the town Tombstone because when he set off to find his fortune his friends told him all he would find is his tombstone. When he and his brother sold the mine they felt the deal they struck was "Good Enough". When he found the next mine his brother said "It would be a tough nut to crack after the success of the first one" The next mine is named "Tough Nut". Then he had another strike and due to the legal battles he named it "Contention" and the 4th mine was called "Lucky Cuss" because really-who finds 4 successful strikes.
The kids really enjoyed the day but there is still so much we did not see. I guess we will have to return another time.
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment