A new year has begun. In all honesty, I am happy to see the back of 2011. It was a year of ups and downs. Most of the time it seemed to be full of downs but we got through it.
2012 has started on an up. Our new bathroom is complete. We just have to paint. I originally planned to paint this weekend but it looks like it will be next weekends project instead. C'est la vie.
This week we started schooling again. It was a busy week. Our standard daily lessons plus the kids had music class and philosophy this week. In music the kids have been learning about rhythm. The group composed a short instrumental on the instructors ipad which they played for us after class. I was impressed. In philosophy they were discussing the mind and thoughts. Do thoughts only come from the mind? If we had no brain could we have thoughts? Do cells have thoughts? They do communicate-flowers know how to follow the sun. Do they think? Questions to ponder.
I have also bravely decided to make my own vanilla extract. I have been toying with the idea for awhile. Finding out that most vanilla is made from corn alcohol now pushed me over the edge. It is not that hard to do. Vanilla beans, vodka, a glass jar, and time. I just never got around to doing it. I ordered some vanilla beans from www.olivenation.com. I had a coupon for 20% off and free shipping. The beans arrived today.
I used this recipe (which I doubled):
3 vanilla beans
1 cup of vodka
1 mason jar with tight fitting lid
1 Use kitchen scissors or a sharp paring knife to cut lengthwise down each vanilla bean, splitting them in half, leaving an inch at the end connected.
2 Put vanilla beans in a glass jar or bottle with a tight fitting lid (mason jars work well). Cover completely with the vodka.
3 Give the bottle a good shake every once in a while. Store in a dark, cool place for 2 months or longer.
Lasts for years. You can keep topping it off with vodka once in a while as you use it, just remember to give it a good shake.
You can also make vanilla sugar by putting a split vanilla bean into a jar of white, granulated sugar. Great way to infuse the sugar with vanilla flavor for baking.
Friday, January 6, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment