Monday, February 22, 2010

School is back in session

After our quasi-vacation last week today we got right back into the thick of things. We started our day by me being the great fun killer known as mom. The kids were going to town playing that great game - The Great Word Race- and I had the nerve to tell them to stop so we could do math. I know, I hear all of you gasping in horror. How could I? That game is educational! It counts towards language arts and critical thinking skills! So much can be learned from this game and your kids were engaged with it! Well, there is a method to my madness. If they knew that I did not mind at all the time spent on this game it would no longer be a desirable activity. So, by being a big ole buzz kill they think they are getting one over on me when they play that game when they are supposed to be doing something else. I suppose one day they will be in therapy over this, but for now, it is working.

Once I got them to put that away it was on to math. M continues with basic division. Mastering the 7 and 8 factors. B continues subtracting mixed number fractions and some review of finding the perimeter of a shape using fractions.

Language Arts - M is working on Capitalization of Proper Nouns and B is working on diagramming a sentence with helping verbs.

History - M started her unit on the Danes and the Anglo Saxons and B started working on his biography of Charlemagne. That did not go over so well. He hates having to read up on someone, outline the information, and then write it all up. I explained to him that in life we sometimes have to do assignments we don't want to and we need to do them to the best of our abilities. Plus, this is a skill he will need for college. He still wasn't happy but he stopped complaining.

We rounded off the day with swim and gym class.

Tomorrow is a new day full of new possibilities.

No comments: