It is almost Hanukkah! It is almost Hanukkah! This seems to be the daily chant around here. Followed up with me saying "Yes, it is. Now please focus on your math." In talking with some other friends who homeschool I am understanding that this is a common phenomenon. Lack of focus on academics and totally wrapped up in having a Happy Chriskwansizikah. Am I unrealistic in my expectations of some focus? I don't think so but maybe I am if this is common in their schooled and homeschooled friends.
The other day we were at the library and M successfully added up our exorbitant library fines in her head. The Librarian smiled at her and said "You are very good at math." M was beaming. Inside I was beaming. Thinking "Yes! She is learning. I am not screwing my kids up for life. I feel validated." Then I thought "Why do I need this outside validation?" I don't really but I am often bitten by the "OMG! What I am doing? Should I be doing this?" bug. It felt good to have someone other then me notice my smart daughter.
Yesterday, our usual round of Math, grammar, swim, and gym class. B continues working on reducing, dividing, and multiplying irregular fractions. I should insert here that he feels about this process the same way he feels about long division but at least he is being successful at it. M started division. So far she is loving it. But, she does realize that it will probably become more difficult. In the meantime, I am enjoying the love. Grammar-B-reflexive pronouns, M-irregular nouns. In History we are touching on the rise of Islam and comparing how much area is divided between Christianity and Islam. Fascinating stuff.
Yesterday I decided to start reading A Christmas Carol with the kids. Truthfully, I have never read the book. My understanding of the story is rooted in Mr. Magoo's A Christmas Carol. Who doesn't love Tiny Tim singing about razzleberry dressing? Honestly, so far, I prefer Mr. Magoo. I had forgotten just how wordy Charles Dickens is. When you got paid by the word you tend to use a lot of them. The kids are not thrilled with the level of wordiness so I have started editing while I read. The Reader's Digest version, I suppose.
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment