We had a great Thanksgiving. Just the right amount of leftovers. Seeing family, catching up, laughing together, all good. Then a realaxing week-end, what could be better?
On to the start of the week. After enjoying the freedom of no lessons and staying up late who would want to go back to getting up, learning those facts and figures, an early bedtime? Not my two kids. Yesterday, I felt thankful to get through math lessons. M also managed to complete grammar. I then read aloud until it was time to leave for swim and gym class. Those went splendidly. Their gym teacher gave all the kids a homework assignment. They each have to come up with a game (one they make up themselves) and they will start doing them in class. My two loved that idea and have now completed the assignments. I won't tell you what they are until next week.
Today went a little better then yesterday. Except for the part where I asked B to write a paragraph on the persecution of the Jews during the Middle Ages. You would have thought I asked him to amputate a limb. He can write. He comes up with his own comic strips. He can write a paragraph. I've seen him do it. However, there is something about assigning a topic that makes his brain stop working. The frustration, the groans, the staring in to space, the forcing him to look up words in the dictionary. What is up with that? It took an hour but he managed to write it. Then I added insult to injury by making him check his spelling. That part of the day was not fun at all. The other lessons went well.
M took her Final exam for the math book she was using. She got a 79% and said "I passed. Great." No. Not great. I then sat her down and explained how it would have been an 85% if not for the careless mistakes she made. All I ever ask is that she tries her best. She said she did and I had to explain how careless mistakes means she did not. Honestly, I don't think a word I said sunk in. I hope it did but I really don't think so. The other parts she got wrong had to do with measurements. She can not remember how many pints in a quart, therefore she can not figure out how many pints in a gallon. I am going to work on this with her but I was not overly upset by it as the hubby was. The truth of the matter is, I can never remember that either and I don't have to because if I really need to know I can look it up. In the front of just about every cook book I own there is a conversion chart or I can look it up online. Yes, she needs to know but she can move onto the next book in the math program without knowing it right now. If she had gotten the multiplication questions wrong-well that would be another matter. You need those times tables to move on to division.
Tomorrow we head off to Discussion Group. The subject is Aesop's Fables. It should be interesting.
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment