Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

This morning we focused on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

We read ....If You Lived At The Time Of Martin Luther King by Ellen Levine. The kids were amazed to see the differences of life then vs. now. They cheered the success of the Montgomery Bus Boycott. They were afraid for the Freedom Riders. They had difficulty believing that the police would let their dogs attack a peaceful protester. They agree with Dr. Martin Luther King's message of non-violence.

Towards the end of the discussion they asked if we lived then would we think that we were better than black people. A thought provoking question. I told B that I really did not know. I would like to believe that we would see segregation for what it was and would have fought against it but there is really no way to know.

We are looking forward to watching history tomorrow as Barack Obama is sworn in as the 44th President.

No comments: