Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Monster that is Long Division

I have spent the last 2 days working with B on double digit long division. It has not been pretty. He is improving but he hates it. He is frustrated by the amount of time it takes him to do the problem. This makes him careless when checking his work and then he is fit to be tied. I have told him we don't have to finish the page we can do a couple of problems and finish it the next day. No. He insists on doing the page. I have no doubt that he will master this in the next few days and then he will be feeling the love but it sure is frustrating getting there. I understand his pain. Double digit long division is time consuming and a pain but it is necessary to know.

M has had a good week with her math assignments. Gauge reading, graph reading, solving problems using the graphs. She is in a good math place.

Their science experiments on plants are going well. B is amazed that all of his leaves are still alive. Some are closer to death than others but all are hanging in there. He thought for sure the unattached, no water, no light leaf would be brown and dead by now. It is still hanging on. M is enjoying drawing her plant and in the light and plant in the dark each week and observing the changes.

No comments: