Sunday, June 9, 2013

Happy 13th Birthday Little Miss M!

Today it is official.  I am the mom of 2 teenagers.  My baby girl is 13 (in case you were wondering-today's birthday breakfast is chocolate pudding pie).  She is ready to move into the next chapter of her life and I want her to be my baby.  I know, she will always be my baby, but her moving to the next chapter means I have to move to the next chapter.  I am not ready.  Ready or not, here it comes.

So much has been going on this past month.  Little Miss was called to the Torah as a Bat Mitzvah.  She chanted her Haftorah beautifully and read Torah as if she had been doing it all her life.  She also led most of the service.  The Cantor had a nice break.  She was amazing and I am filled with pride and joy over her accomplishments.

A large part of the last month was spent in preparation.  Planning the party, making sure she practiced, making sure Mister B practiced his Torah portion, getting the dress, getting my dress, making sure Mister B and hubby had suits that fit, following up on response cards from people who neglected to respond, and so on.  Needless to say-school light. Summer school this year.

As my daughter enters this next phase of growing up I can't help but wonder what the future will bring.  There is the obvious-make up, more intense school work, clothes.  Then there is the more subtle-boys.  Continuing to instill in her a strong sense of self so she can always remain true to who she is and not go changing just to make some boy happy.

I see a bumpy road ahead.  Or perhaps I should say hilly.  A ride that will be filled with twists and turns and ups and downs.  One that will move super fast at times and other times slow down.  Hopefully, there will be pleasant valleys full of joy and laughter and few dark woods.  Will I be able to think of some more cliches to describe this journey? 

Happy 13th Birthday!

No comments: