Thursday, September 6, 2012

Day 2 of the new school year

Day 2 was off to a slightly better start then day 1.  No slurpees at 9:00 the night before (Thanks dad for the sugar crash on the first day of school).

I have to say, neither one is enjoying the majorly increased work load.  Mister B is especially feeling it.  My answer: Too bad.  That is life.  Deal with it.  Then I also explained that since this is a short week I have been cramming in the information and that over the next few weeks he will be able to start figuring out how many days each week he will need to work on each subject to meet his deadlines.  He may decide to do a little each day or block his day with intense focus on a couple of subjects.

Today he had his first Spanish Class through http://spanishonline.okstate.edu/.  He seemed to enjoy it.  And like all good classes, it started with an easy lesson.  Today was all about greetings.  Hola! Que tal?  Muy bien, y tu? Adios!  Buenos dias, buenos tardes, bueno noches.  I also like that the textbook is available as an ebook so I did not have to shell out over $100 for it.  Mister B liked using it, too since it is interactive.  This is the first ebook we have used because I am old school and like holding a book.

Little Miss M also complained about her work load.  This is the first year where she will not normally be done by lunchtime.  She had to continue her school work after lunch.

I am confident they will adjust.

What I see as an upcoming source of possible strife...Mister B's friends whispering (loudly) that he should go to high school with them.  They want to see him and hang with him.  I get that.  He gets that, however, the siren song of friends can be very appealing.  Then we talked about how he will be swimming for the high school team (Yay, me-major victory since the school district originally said no) and he will be involved in going to football games with friends and other social events.  9th grade should be an interesting ride.

No comments: