Monday, September 5, 2011

Flooding Update

It seems I spoke to soon about the lack of water in our basement.  We ended up with a couple of inches down there.  Thank goodness the floor in the finished part, the laundry room, and one of the closets is raised off the floor.  I am also thankful that the majority of things I store on the floor are in plastic bins.  That said, we borrowed a shop vac from a friend (because there is not a pump to be had) and have been vacuuming up water since Friday night.  At first, it felt like I was not even making a dent.  I wondered if the water I was dumping down the slop sink was just spewing back in.  It wasn't.  The basement is physics at work.  Where the slop sink in, the floor is at the lowest point.  I was vacuuming up the water and the water from the rest of the basement was flowing down hill.

The downside to the raised floor is that I have to wait for the water to trickle down to the area where I can vacuum it up (which is the storage closet in the laundry room).  Most of the exposed floor in the furnace room is now dry.  One big damp spot in the corner that is getting smaller every day. 

Now I am left with a new problem.  The gross musty, mildewy smell.  The parts of the floor that I can scrub down with a vinegar solution will get done but there is that whole big section under the raised floor.  I have now way of cleaning that up.  Now we are shopping around for a dehumidifier to help with the dampness.  Price is an issue.  The really good ones are a few hundred dollars.  The internet is both a blessing and a curse.  We read reviews until we are too paralyzed to make a decision.  

Even with the few inches of water in the basement we are still luckier then most of our neighbors.  I am trying to count my blessings.

No comments: