Today was interesting. I had a meeting with an administrator at The Rockland County Day School (http://www.rocklandcds.org/). My former bosses son is a teacher there. He asked if I would be willing to meet with them to discuss offering classes to homeschoolers. Which I was. High School is rearing it's head and we are trying to decide what to do. There are classes I am more comfortable outsourcing (Chemistry comes to mind).
They are definitely interested in the idea. The administrator asked about possibly doing an AP class after school, such as 3:10- 4pm. It is a good idea but not feasible. For example, my kids have Hebrew School 2x per week after school. Many kids are involved in athletics. I asked about online auditing of the classes and then coming in for labs. That would certainly be workable for many people who are 30+ minutes away. Another possibility was offering a 2-3 week seminar type class for 3 weeks in June. Their school year ends the 1st week in June. Camps don't start until the end of June.
I have to admit, I liked what I saw when I was there. They are a small school. Teacher ratio is 8:1. They are college prep. They are not caught up in test scores. They do not participate in the NY State standardized tests. If I had the $$ I might even consider sending my kids there for high school. I would prefer a la carte classes but the campus was appealing. I do hope they come through with classes in September. I would like Mister B to try one.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow that really is an interesting day!
There are so many outside classes available here where we live. The homeschooling community is huge.
I hope that you are able to find something that works for you.
Post a Comment