Thursday, November 11, 2010

Discussion Group

Yesterday's discussion group was one of the liveliest ones ever. All the kids really loved it. Before discussion started us moms were talking about what we thought the kids would say our patronus was. One of my friends told me that her daughters were sure my kids would say I was a crab. This opinion was based solely on the numerous joking comments my kids like to make about how mean I am, and the horrible things I make them do (such as writing assignment). We all had a good laugh over that.

Turns out my kids are wonderful. Little Miss said my patronus would be a mama bear because I protect them. Mister B said it would be a kitten because I am soft and squishy like a kitten. He meant I am a bit pudgy but I am going with the emotional side of soft and squishy.

They loved talking about what Malfoy's patronus would be. 3 of the boys said a snake because he is in Slytherin and he slithers around and is sneaky. One of the girls said she thought the answer was given when Mad Eye Moony turned him into a ferret. Mister B said it would be a mouse because Malfoy is cowardly. Little Miss said it would be a dragon because he was mean like a nasty dragon. This led to a discussion of could your patronus be a mythical creature.

If they could transform into an animal what would it be? They had to remember that their animagis was the same as their patronus. Some examples: some wanted to be a dog, a wolf, an owl, and a bald eagle.

What would they see in the Mirror of Erised (desire spelled backwards for those who may have missed that little fact). Little Miss sees her warm, loving family. Mister B sees is living in a mansion, with all the money we need, he has every video game he has ever wanted, all the time he wants to play, and...............................wait for it.........................................................World Peace.

To really tie it all together-we were able to throw a little latin lesson in. Thank you J.K. Rowlings for using so much latin.


No comments: