Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My 12 year old is so, well, 12.

I know this is all a normal part of development. He is becoming his own person. Figuring out his likes and dislikes. The things that make him who he is and define what kind of person he wants to be.

But, does he have to have such an attitude while discovering himself? Some days he is sarcastic, some days he is just plain rude, some days he is moody, some days he is all of the above. Some days I feel very strongly the urge to hit him. I don't, but I can't help but think it would feel really good for about 5 minutes to smack that smirk off his face. Instead of hitting him (because that would be wrong and would not actually accomplish anything) I try to calm down and discuss with him the disrespectful behavior.

He says he understands. He says he will stop. He says a lot of things that don't actually match up to his actions.

Like all the other stages I found so challenging when he was younger I repeat the mantra "This too shall pass".

I really hope it passes soon and my sweet boy returns.

2 comments:

shanlouise said...

I was glad to come across this post today -- I have an almost-11-year-old boy who is practicing for 12 ;) Glad to know we're not alone.

Our Homeschool Adventure said...

Thank you. It does help when you know you are not alone.