Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A new week

Last week we had class 3 at Pyramid Mountain where we learned about Pollinators. I would post the pics but I have misplaced the camera. The little people between time have it and they don't seem to want to give it back yet. We learned that bees are not the only pollinators, however, Honey Bees are the only ones to give us honey. I can't imagine a world without honey. There are flies, and bees, and even the wind going around pollinating. We learned why plants want pollination. In a nutshell, to get the best genes to make a hardy plant. On our hike we examined flowers with magnifying glasses to look for pollinators and pollen. Lots of fun on a beautiful day.

Last Friday Mister B had his film making club. He got a chance to operate the camera and the boom. He is really enjoying the club. I think it is a great experience for him.

Yesterday morning we watched the documentary Super Size Me (http://www.amazon.com/Super-Size-Me-John-Banzhaf/dp/B0002OXVBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272994599&sr=1-1). We almost never eat fast food and the kids have heard me say why. I thought if we watched the movie it might make more of an impact. My kids thought what he went through was gross. The shock they experienced that it took only a month to gain all that weight and over a year to lose it. How many pounds of sugar and fat he ate in the month. Just seeing how his health changed eating this food for 3 meals a day. Quite the impact. When it was all over the kids said "That was gross but can we go to McDonald's?"

No comments: