Thursday, March 14, 2013

Eee Gad! It is almost the Ides of March!

Tomorrow morning I will wake up the mom of a 15 year old.  15!  Where has the time gone?  Since I am only 27 myself it is quite the miracle that my first born is going to be so old.

As I was mildly freaking out over the fact that my baby boy will be 15 tomorrow I also realized that the school year is more over then beginning.  More panic!  I have not done all I wanted to do.  I won't get done all I want to do.  What am I doing?

We have been spending some extra time on linear equations this week.  Mister B is having some difficulty with converting slope intercept to standard line and vice versa.  I can honestly say I had absolutely no idea how to do this.  Algebra was really not my forte.  My algebra teacher was The Dean of Detention, an Ex-Marine, and coach of the wrestling team and he gave the impression that if you were not on his team or really smart he wanted nothing to do with you.  He was scary and when you told him you didn't understand he would come over to your desk.  Point at your paper and say "You do this, this, and this.  Understand?"  "Yeah, sure" you would say even though you had no clue.  Lets just say I had a lot of math tutors in my day and I still only squeaked by with barely passing grades. But now, thanks to the internet and www.kahnacademy.org, and some other math resources I found online I have mastered this skill.  And more importantly, Mister B has started mastering this skill. 

Little Miss M has quickly mastered median, mean, and mode and is now starting a unit on probability. 

In Biology we took a step back and now Mister B has a better grasp on the material.  Little Miss M is working on a sky journal and is learning about the stars.

History and English are moving along nicely as is Spanish for Mister B.

I can not wait to see what tomorrow brings....

No comments: