Friday, November 9, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

It has been a crazy couple of weeks here.  Hurricane Sandy came and knocked out our power.  No lights and no heat (except for our much loved fireplace).  Fortunately we have friends who let us hang out with them all day.  They fed us and let us charge our electronics.  We also discovered we have generous neighbors.  An hour after we lost power they were knocking on our door offering us an extension cord from their house for our fridge.

The biggest discover we made-None of us wants to be a Mennonite.  Our evenings in our chilly house was a nice break from our daily routine-but leave the living room and you really noticed the chill.  I told the kids this was just like camping only better because we had hot water (thankfully) and a private bath that was not in the woods.  I am not sure they were buying what I was selling but we had fun.

After our break from school (did I mention those days with friends while the schools in town were closed) we are now trying to get back into the swing of things.  It has not been easy.  There is resistance and tempers flaring.  Mostly my temper but I am trying to control that.  There seems to be a desire to fall back into bad work habits.  Lets face it, it is easier to be lazy in the short term.  I know we will get back into the groove but the road there is not pleasant.

No comments: