November has started. So far, it has been a good month. Last week, lesson progressed smoothly. No railing against the universe and how mean I am to make them learn stuff.
Last Wednesday in Philosophy the kids continued their discussion on the purpose of education. They came to the conclusion that education is supposed to set you free. The group has been busy designing a school. They are learning that it is not as easy as it sounds. Besides expanding the mind there are practical considerations. One girl said students should be allowed to determine how long the classes would be. Little Miss countered with "What if the students decide class should be one minute?" I think they all have a better understanding of how blessed they are to have parents who are giving them the gift of homeschooling.
This week they have Discussion Group. We are watching High Noon. I watched it with Little Miss M this morning (Mister B is feeling under the weather-low grade fever. He and I will watch it tomorrow). I had never seen the movie before. It is really pretty good. I am not usually one for Westerns. Seeing the movie in the context of the McCarthy era and is it or is it not a reflection of the times made it a little more interesting for me. I am actually looking forward to watching it again tomorrow.
Monday, November 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment