This week is chugging along. Lessons are progressing and Mister B has the added delight of writing all those thank you cards from his Bar Mitzvah.
Little Miss M is working on adding and subtracting fractions with different denominators, verb phrases, food webs, and finishing up the Ottoman Empire. Today we made Viennese Crescent Rolls. I had no idea that crescent rolls originated after the Turks during the Ottoman Empire failed to take Vienna. The crescent shape represented the crescent on the Turkish flag.
Here is the recipe we used:
2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast (or one package dry yeast)
3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour (we used whole wheat flour that we mill in our nutrimill)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 Tablespoons butter (melted)
1 Tablespoon water
Mix the yeast, sugar, and warm water. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt. Now, put in the yeast mixture and the butter. Mix well. You may need to add more flour if the dough seems to wet to roll out. Divide the dough into two equal amounts. On a lightly floured board, roll one half out into a circle about 8 to 9 inches in diameter and about a 1/4" thick. Now cut the circle into 8 wedge-shaped pieces. Starting at the widest end, roll each piece up and shape into a crescent. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray (or use butter like I did to grease it). Put the rolls on the cookie sheet and cover them with a kitchen towel. Let them sit in a warm place for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450-degrees.
Crack the egg into a small bowl and mix it with the water. Brush the egg wash onto the crescent rolls using a pastry brush. Bake rolls for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
Delicious!
Mister B is working on percentages and figuring out sales tax and tip when dining out, run-on sentences, and evaluating sources for history.
Today we took a sample music class. They learned about notes and beats and basic rhythm. Music is an area I seriously lack ability. I have no musical talent/understanding at all. They really enjoyed it so I am going to have to see if I can work this into the budget.
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment