Friday, August 14, 2009

Planning, planning, planning

School will be starting for us in a couple of weeks and I am still in the process of outlining our school year. I achieved a new level of geekdom when I squealed with delight this morning because my order from Rainbow Resource will be arriving today.

I will be going through our science and history books to make sure I have the supplies needed on hand. Last year I would occasionally skip that step and ended up scrambling. Not pretty. I am trying to get a handle on it for this year.

In some ways we have started school already. Puberty has been a big topic of discussion. B has been reading What's Happening to me? and It's perfectly normal. I really like these books. They cover just about everything. And I mean everything. If you do not have the liberal secular view on sex and what is okay that I have-these are probably not the books for you. This way he reads the books and then we can discuss any questions he has (or better yet-he can talk to his father. As I explained to him-I am glad to discuss with him but I don't have the equipment and don't really know what he is feeling). M has been reading The Care and Keeping of You and It's so amazing. A story about eggs, sperm, and families. The Care and Keeping of you discusses all those girl questions you wanted to know and were afraid to ask. It's so amazing covers reproduction and some puberty basics about boys and girls. It is the book that comes before It's perfectly normal.


No comments: